I love spirited children – those with big personalities that always have something to say or share with you. Those who have a high energy and have a lot going on for themselves. They can be tiring but generally they are good fun to be around.
Not everyone enjoys a spirited child (one who also can get themselves into mishaps and trouble) though. And it can be a challenge for parents who find their child’s personality and zest a bit too much. So what can you do if you feel a bit overwhelmed? Here are a few ideas…..
5 Ways to Deal with a Spirited Child
- Change the way you think about them. Think of their strengths and the benefits of being a spirited child – lots to say, lots of energy, never a dull moment, a strong individual
- Look at where you feel more challenged by them. What could you do differently when they test you.
- Do things that bring out the best in them and their personality. Redirect their energy.
- Find an activity that allows them to relax. Quiet time is good for recharging batteries (for parents too!)
- When things go wrong – talk or role play out what they could have done differently.
Try my tips and let me know how you get on!