I love role play. It is not only a fun thing for children to do in terms of play, it’s also a useful tool that can used to help them in their day to day life. Role play is a great educational tool that can help a child in various ways.
Benefits of Role Play for Children
- Helps children to understand a situation they find themselves in.
- Allows them to experiment with words.
- Helps them to see things from another persons perspective.
- To try out difference ways to communicate and see the responses they may receive.
- Develops communication and language skills.
- Give children the opportunity to act out, and make sense of real-life situations.
- Teaches them to empathise.
- Allows them to express their feelings and thoughts
It can also give children the opportunity to practice skills such as resolving conflicts, or the art of negotiation. Role play also helps them practice what to say and how to say it, in situations they find tricky.
I use role play in most of my life coaching sessions with children. It is so easy to use and is incredibly effective and it is just as useful for parents to use at home. It’s perfect for practicing tricky situations and especially speaking up for what you want, need and general effective communication.
Get in the habit of practicing role play with your children. Use it when they have a specific issue they need to deal with, such as problems with friends, as well as discussing things that could happen in real life like getting lost, what to do in an emergency etc. Prepare them and help them to feel more confident in dealing with their problems and situations.