Every parent needs to know about bullying – preparing them so that they don’t and dealing with the bullying should it start. The 10 things I have listed are a start.
- Children with a healthy self-esteem do not usually get bullied so praise and recognising your child’s achievements.
- Keep the lines of communication open between you and your child.
- Listen to how your child interacts with their peers and take an interest who they are mixing with so you can see the dynamics of their group and if they are vulnerable.
- Educate your child about the reason children bully other children.
- If you think your child is being bullied speak to a teacher who knows your child well, who will listen and be effective in resolving the situation.
- Don’t teach your child to bully back
- Know the signs of a child that is bullied.
- Know the signs of a child that is bullying others.
- Know what the bullying policy is in school.
- Learn about online bullying as children are often bullied in this way regardless of whether they are being bullied in person. Speak to your child about cyber bullying before they start going onto social networking sites.
What else do you think you should know about bullies and bullying so you are ahead of the game? Would you like to add anything else to my list?